The Board of Trustees works each year with the Head of School to set tuition. We strive to keep several important goals in mind: building a sustainable, financially healthy school, making PKS accessible to as many families as possible, and staying true to our history and mission.
|P1 (four day)||$24,980|
|P1 – P3 (five day)||$27,740|
|Kindergarten through fifth grade||$27,740|
Tuition for the 2018-2019 school year will be set and announced in early 2018.
Note: Extended care, after-school enrichment and summer camp incur separate fees.
We recognize that a PKS education requires a significant financial commitment, and in general the costs of an independent school education are increasingly challenging. If tuition at PKS seems beyond your family’s reach, we encourage you to learn more about our financial aid program.
PKS offers financial aid to families with demonstrated financial need. We ask that every family cover a minimum 15% of their child’s tuition costs, but recognize that each situation is unique. We want to work with you so that no qualified student is prevented from considering enrollment at PKS for financial reasons.
Applications for financial aid are due by February 2, 2018 and you will need to submit:
- 2016 and 2017 W-2s and 1099s for all employment held
- Tax returns and all schedules for 2016 and 2017
The 2016 tax return should be submitted as soon as you file. We encourage you to apply as early as possible to provide ample time to conduct a complete review of your application. If you cannot file by February 2, 2018 please do still submit all other documents and we will use this data to give an award conditional on your 2017 tax return. We will need all filed 2017 tax returns by March 31, 2018 at the latest.
How to Apply
All enrolled and applying families are encouraged to consider the PKS financial aid program. As a reminder, all families must reapply each year for award determination as circumstances change regularly. Aid is not guaranteed year to year; it is dependent upon the family’s resources and the school’s budget each year.
PKS utilizes the online service of Financial Aid for School Tuition (FAST) to process applications. FAST is the standard submission format for all financial aid applications. FAST collects all the required documents and makes a recommendation based on details provided by PKS, such as our assistance budget for the year and number of qualified applicant. PKS can adjust the awards FAST recommends in certain circumstances.
FAST does not decide whether financial assistance will be given or how much to give; rather FAST provides a need-based financial aid analysis service which includes a recommendation of what a family should reasonably contribute toward tuition. All information submitted to FAST is confidential. Results are reviewed by the Financial Aid Committee, who makes award recommendations based on the following year’s budget.
Steps to Apply:
- Log onto FAST
- The application process is self-guided. You may navigate in and out of the program allowing you to partially complete an application and go back to it at another time. Online email and a 24/7 helpline are provided. Please contact FAST with any application specific questions.
- The charge for the application is $43.00 and to be paid by credit card at the end of the online process. If you do not have a credit card, or cannot budget the fee, please email PKS Admissions for assistance.
- After completing the online application you will be required to mail or upload your 2016 and 2017 tax returns for both state and federal taxes with all schedules and W-2s for 2016 and 2017 to the address below. 2016 and 2017 W-2s and 2016 tax return and schedules are due by Feb 2, 2018, the 2017 tax return is due by March 31, 2018. Including PKS on the outside of the return envelope will ensure faster processing of your application.
- Mail to: FAST Processing, ISM, 1316 North Union Street, Wilmington DE 19806-2594. PKS has pre-addressed envelopes which you can request by emailing PKS Admissions.
- The online submission deadline for all admissions applications is early January 2018 - final calendar will be posted early September 2017.
- Your FAST application and tax returns must be postmarked by February 2, 2018.
- PKS will make an initial financial need determination based on your 2016 tax returns and 2017 W-2s and/or 1099s. If financial aid is offered, PKS will require a copy of the 2017 tax returns by March 31, 2018, to finalize the offer. Prior to receiving all financial aid materials, an offer of admissions will be conditional.
Tuition Assistance Policy
While the availability of school resources, the number of qualified applicants and overall budget constraints influence financial aid decisions, PKS is committed to making grants available to as many eligible applicants as possible. In an effort to make the process fair to all, PKS considers the following when making award decisions:
- The primary responsibility for financing a student’s education rests with the family.
- Both parents are expected to contribute to tuition.
- If a family has only kindergarten age or older students enrolled and a parent chooses not to work, PKS imputes an annual income for the non-working parent.
- In the case of divorce or separation, or unmarried parents, PKS requires both parents to file an application for financial assistance. PKS is not bound by any divorce agreement specifying a parent’s responsibility for educational expenses.
- PKS believes a family should invest in their child’s education before elective expenses, for example, secondary home ownership, club memberships and expensive car leases/purchases.
- PKS uses HUD income guidelines for San Francisco as a guide for determining which families are considered low, middle and high income.
- PKS does not offer sibling discounts, but instead encourages families to apply for tuition assistance; all household members are taken into account.
- Tuition assistance also extends to PKS Extended Day Care and up to two PKS enrichment classes per session and available PKS camps.
Tuition Assistance FAQ
What is financial aid?
Financial aid is a reduced tuition available to qualifying families to support them in covering the cost of education at PKS. Each family is expected to contribute a minimum of 15% of the total tuition.
Who makes financial aid decisions?
FAST makes a recommendation and the final decision is made by a committee of PKS administrators.
What Other PKS Programs are supported by Financial Aid?
Families receiving financial aid will also qualify for the same discount for after school extended day care, up to two enrichment classes per session and camps that are offered.
Will my family qualify?
This is difficult to answer without reviewing a complete application. We take into account a number of variable factors: family income, housing costs, debt, savings, monthly expenses. We also factor in discretionary expenses based on family circumstances. Our approach is that before we can ask our community to support financial aid, the applicant families must have reviewed their own finances and are using all resources they can to support their child(ren)’s education before requesting financial aid.
Must we reapply each year?
Yes. Circumstances change and financial aid rates are reviewed each year. Families must apply each year and submit the most recent tax documents to ensure they still qualify.
If we re-enroll will we get the same financial aid rate each year?
Yes, provided that your financial situation does not change. PKS prioritizes assistance to its existing families who qualify for financial aid.
What if I am single / divorced / unmarried parent?
PKS requires complete financial information from both parents, custodial and non-custodial. FAST is structured to allow both parents to submit information without the other parent seeing the details. PKS treats all information provided confidentially.
Can I request extra time to submit paperwork?
Please have your tax documents submitted and application completed by the deadlines. PKS reviews all completed applications at the same time. A late submission may be considered, but there will be a smaller pool of funds available as funds will have already been allocated to applications submitted and approved by the deadline.
I’m applying to PKS, should I submit an application for financial aid now, or wait until I know if my child will be offered a place?
We would urge you to apply for financial aid when you are applying to the school. PKS makes financial aid awards when admission offer letters go out. To be considered for assistance we need to have your application by the deadlines detailed above.
Photos: parent volunteers and John Lee